Many people create goals for themselves, only to see them never materialize. The reason that their goals do not become reality is that they do not take any actions to move toward their goals, or they start but never plan for completion. Just wanting something is not enough to make it happen. The best way to achieve any goal that you set for yourself is by making an action plan for it.
- Write down the goal for which you want to make an action plan. Over time you will want to do this for every goal that you set for yourself. For now, start with one goal -- that way you can narrow your focus and your drive to achieve it.
- List the steps that you will need to take to accomplish this goal. If you do not know what it will take to achieve this goal, do some research. For example, if you want to become a teacher, go online and research what type of degree and certification you will need to achieve this goal. Your research may involve searching online, going to a library or asking someone who is an expert about what you want to achieve. If you want to get a black belt in karate, your best bet is to contact a school and ask the karate master. To make an action plan, you must know in detail what it will take to reach your goal.
- Choose a completion date for your action plan. This is the date by which you will accomplish your goal. Be realistic when setting this date. If you need a certain amount of time for schooling to accomplish a goal, then you will want to make sure that you factor that into setting the date.
- Break the actions that you need to take into smaller steps, perhaps organized by weeks or months that lead up to the date that you have set to reach your goal. In an action plan, it is important to have a weekly and monthly list of actions that you will take to achieve your goal; set interim deadlines to make sure you are making progress. This will hold you accountable and keep you on your timeline.
- Refer to the action plan often throughout the time that you are working on your goal. Reread what you need to do each day to make your goal a reality. You can reevaluate your action plan once a week or month to see if you need to rework any of your time frames and actions.